Sunday School Missions
For the past 2 years, Zion's Sunday school children have dedicated their time and talents in the month of February toward mission outreach. Their outreach includes:
- A visit to Country Meadows, reaching out with God’s word through Christmas songs;
- Homemade cards for Zion’s shut-in’s and members who are ill;
- Gift bags filled with homemade crafts, brownies and cards donated for Food Bank;
- Donation, collection and distribution of items for our troops and their families;
- Sharing the message of God's love through song during a church service.
For 2014, the Sunday school has chosen to continue support for our troops and their families through the non-profit organization called Operation: Stars and Stripes. We have also chosen to “spruce up” the welcome packets given to those who visit Zion.
Operation: Stars and Stripes
We hear the good news that many of our troops are slated to come home next year. Praise God! But, when that happens, many places where the troops shop for personal items and food will close down. Those who must stay behind will no longer have somewhere to shop or the distance to get to those places is far too long. Our troops will need our donations more than ever!
What our troops desperately desire are snack items and words of encouragement from us. So, our mission will be to collect specific snack items, putting them into bags, adding God’s love with letters and cards, and shipping them off….Operation: Bags of Love!
Here is how you can help:
- Zion congregation and/or visitors:
- Granola/energy bars
- Gallon-sized and quart-sized Ziplok bags
- Sunday school and confirmation kids and youth group:
- Chewing Gum
- Drink mix singles (Gatorade & Propel are favorites)
- Zion Day school children and families:
- Snack sized packages of cookies
- Snack sized packages of crackers
- Cereal cupsEveryone:o Write a letter of encouragement to a soldier. Must be written on provided letterhead.
o Write a letter of encouragement to a soldier. Must be written on provided letterhead
o Draw a picture on our Operation: Bags of Love Drawing page
o Pray for our troops.
(Letterhead and drawing pages are available in the Narthex, school lobby and on the Sunday school tab at www.zlcb.org.)
Some things to consider:
- Make sure to mark items “OSS Donation”.
- Check expiration dates. We will not be shipping the items until the end of February, so make sure that
- expiration dates extend well beyond then.
- Ziplok bags are important because items packed are secure and won’t contaminate other packages if they leak. Also, soldiers can reuse the bags to protect items, such as electronics, from sand or the weather.
- Check out www.operationstarsandstripes.org for other donation ideas.
Zion Welcome Packets
When a visitor comes through Zion’s doors, they receive a welcome packet that contains information about what Zion members believe, things we do at Zion and a post card to offer/request additional information. The Sunday school would like to enhance the welcome packet by adding a few additional items. Some ideas include: a welcome card from the Sunday school, a pen, Divine chocolate square, Bible verse book mark, and a bag to put it all in.
All Sunday school offerings in the month of January will be used towards the purchase of items for the welcome packets. The new Welcome Packets will be put together in the month of February. If you would like to make a monetary donation, please make sure you designate it for “Welcome Packets”.
“Let us love one another….for God is love. 1 John 4: 7-8